Carolina has a strong tradition of private giving, beginning with the gift of the land that established the campus. It wasn’t until the 20th century that the modern era of large legislative appropriations began. Systematic fundraising for the University was begun by supporters of athletics and later by supporters of the business and medical schools. University-wide fundraising for academics began in 1952 with the creation of the Office of University Development.

In the late 1970s, the University launched the Carolina Challenge Campaign, the first University-wide fundraising effort. In 1989, the University initiated the Bicentennial Campaign for Carolina, at the time the largest University-wide campaign in Carolina’s history. The six-year campaign was a tremendous success, surpassing the original goal of $320 million with $440.2 million raised, including $135 million added to the University’s endowment.

During the campaign, the development operation’s organizational structure was an integrated-hybrid model combining elements of centralized (Office of University Development) and decentralized (schools and units) models. This combination worked well and was continued as the model for the Carolina First Campaign, which finished as the fifth largest drive among completed campaigns at that time in the history of U.S. higher education. Running from July 1999 to December 2007, Carolina First raised $2.38 billion.

University-wide development efforts are coordinated by the vice chancellor for development. Fundraising is the responsibility of the Office of University Development and the individual schools and units on campus. Many advancement services are provided by the Office of University Development, including gift processing, donor research, planned giving, communications and events. Our mailing address and main phone number are:

Office of University Development
UNC-Chapel Hill
PO Box 309
Chapel Hill, NC 27514-0309
919-962-2336